With Tuscany staying high in couples’ dreams and micro weddings on the rise I think you may enjoy some insider’s tips about where to get married, especially if you’d like to choose a small hill town with pretty architecture and lots of views to celebrate the most important day of your life.
Here are my top five Tuscany hill towns that boast a picturesque and very romantic setting, perfect for intimate weddings:
1. Cortona, this almost 3-thousand-year-old hill town was made famous by the film Under the Tuscan Sun and became a very popular wedding destination for all those seeking beauty and romance. Cortona lies on top of a hill with open views of a lush green valley that in summer fills with sunflower fields - Valdichiana - and is fully surrounded by silvery olive groves that add extra beauty to the scenery. The Medieval Town Hall palace and the many ancient churches are perfect to say I do with legal or religious ceremony, while if you plan to have a symbolic rite, the surroundings are dotted with charming villas and farmhouses that perfectly accommodate small parties. And the town centre - that spreads around the two main piazzas, Piazza della Repubblica and Piazza Signorelli - has so many picture-perfect spots that you may not want to leave!
2. Pienza, so pretty and romantic! This small town has one of the most amazing views of Val D’Orcia and its quaint streets with evocative names like “street of love” and street of kiss” make it unique. The historical centre develops along Corso Rossellino and is full of beautiful architecture all around. This is perfect for a small wedding with civil ceremony in the Town Hall; religious ceremonies are held in the beautiful renaissance Cathedral or in the ancient the Pieve di Corsignano, but best to check availability first, because both churches are currently under restoration. No worries in case these are still unavailable on your date, because in the immediate countryside there is a lovely venue with own church and pretty setting, and lots of accommodation! No need to speak of villas and venues to stay, as the region is dotted with so many beautiful options, perfect if you wish to stay a full week or just a few days. And the area has so many picture-perfect spots like Vitaleta chapel, just to name one!
3. Montepulciano, this hill town overlooks two valleys – Valdichiana, green and lush, and Val D’Orcia, with the famous rolling hills of Tuscany - and features lots of historical character and beautiful architecture. It is mostly known for Vino Nobile - the excellent local wine produced with Sangiovese - but I recommend it also for intimate weddings: the ancient Town Hall palace set in the Piazza Grande is perfect for civil ceremonies. Or you may marry with symbolic rite at one of the many beautiful villas with breathtaking views located in the immediate countryside. No church weddings for the moment here, but there is so much more that I am sure you’ll want to add it onto your list!
4. San Gimignano is undoubtedly a place full of charme and romance. Its beautiful historic centre characterized by the many medieval towers and the overall architecture make it a unique destination for weddings. You may marry with civil ceremony at the medieval Town Hall palace, or with a religious rite in one of its beautiful churches filled with ancient frescoes. Imagine walking along its main street, stopping in the Piazza della Cisterna and take a few romantic shots by the pozzo, and a few more in front of the Collegiata church with stunning towers as backdrop. Each moment here is really magical and you’ll love reliving it through the photos! And not far from San Gimignano there are beautiful venues that accommodate small to medium parties, so you have everything covered!
5. San Galgano, this is not a town but an amazing roofless church immersed in the open countryside south of Siena. I could not but include it in my top 5 romantic wedding destinations of Tuscany as this site is one of the most unique and special of our region. Imagine to marry in this gorgeous roofless church and have its incredible architecture as backdrop for your civil ceremony – it really is a dream place and in fact it gets booked out so fast, but it is worth a try for sure! No problem about accommodation because nearby there are lovely places to book.
Inspired? Drop me a message with your ideas and questions and we’ll start from there!
Wanna read further about wedding ceremony locations? here the link!