The Town of Giorgio Vasari amidst history and traditionIn AREZZO you will find ancient roots that date back to Etruscan and Roman times, and will recognise its flourishing time in its Medieval historic centre, built mainly between the XI and the XIV century.
Arezzo is located at the junction of the four valleys that constitute its province: Val di Chiana, Valtiberina, Casentino and Valdarno. Its strategic location strongly influenced its development: Arezzo was one of the major Etruscan lucumonies and then a strategic Roman city, a free commune in the Middle Ages under Bishops Guglielmino degli Ubertini (1278-1289) and Guido Tarlati (1313- 1327), and then ended under the domination the Florentine families. The artistic flowering of Etruscan and Roman times can now be seen in the Archeological Museum, that exhibits many bronze and terracotta artworks. Arezzo’s main monuments are the S. Francis church with the world famous frescoes by Piero della Francesca, the Parish Church of S. Maria, a beautiful Romanesque church with a sumptuous decorated facade and a famous altar painting by Pietro Lorenzetti. Piazza Vasari, or rather Piazza Grande, as it is called by the Aretines, was and still is the heart of the city and now hosts a nice Antique Market on the first Sunday of every month, and the “Joust of the Saracen“, an ancient medieval tournament, on the third Saturday of June and first Sunday of September. Numerous palaces and tower-houses contribute to the picturesque aspect of the square. The Cathedral hosts a XIII marble main altar (Arca di S. Donato) and also shows beautiful stained-glass windows by G. Marcillat and the Chapel of “Our Lady of Comfort”; the S. Domenico church is famous for the extraordinary crucifix by Cimabue; nearby one finds the finely decorated house of Giorgio Vasari.
AREZZO in short:
-"The Legend of the True Cross" by Piero della Francesca in the Bacci Chapel of the Basilica dedicated to S. Francis
- Piazza Grande with its monthly Antique market and the Joust of the Saracen on the third Saturday of June and the first Sunday of September
- the romanesque parish church of S. Mary with a richly decorated facade and a famous painting by Pietro Lorenzetti
- the gothic Cathedral of S. Donato with stained glass windows by Guillaume de Marcillat, the Chapel of the Virgin of Comfort, the Magdalena by Piero della Francesca, the Arca of S. Donato
- the church of S. Domenico with a crucifix by Cimabue
- Giorgio Vasari's house fully frescoed and decorated by the artist and some colleagues
- the birth house of Italian poet Petrarch where you find several printed editions of his poems
- the location of a hilarious story of the Decameron by Giovanni Boccaccio
- the Badia of SS. Flora and Lucilla with precious paintings by Giorgio Vasari and a masterpiece by Andrea Pozzo
- the church of SS. Annunziata with beautiful renaissance paintings
- the church of S. Maria delle Grazie with an elegant portico and an ancient fresco by Spinello Aretino
- important glased terracottas by the Della Robbia in many churches
- a Roman amphiteatre of the I-II century a.C.
- a rich production of jewels that has made Arezzo famous all over the world
- the set of Roberto Benigni's film "Life is beautiful" and of several other films
- Chianti Aretini wine and extra-virgin olive oil
- precious ancient jewellery and antiques
GUIDED TOURS IN AREZZO - TOURIST ITINERARIES AREZZO - TOURIST GUIDES AREZZO - TOURIST ITINERARIES GIORGIO VASARI - TOURIST ITINERARIES PIERO DELLA FRANCESCA - TOURIST ITINERARIES CIMABUE AND MARGARITO - TOUR GUIDES AREZZO - GUIDED TOURS PIERO DELLA FRANCESCA
The Antique Market in Arezzo
Antique Furnishings and Artworks in Piazza Grande on 4-5 February, 3-4 March ... Book your guided tour of Arezzo during the antique market !
The Joust of the Saracen
An Ancient Tournament - 22nd June and 1st September 2013. Book your guided tour of Arezzo to see the historic parade in the city centre !
Piero della Francesca in Arezzo
The Legend of the true Cross by Piero visible in the Basilica of S. Francis. Admission with reservation.
Giorgio Vasari's House
The artist's house in Arezzo decorated for his wedding with Nicolosa Bacci
Petrarch's Birth House
The birth house of Petrarch in the historic centre of Arezzo
Goldsmithery in Arezzo
The art of creating jewels - from the Etruscan until nowadays